upcoming titles

books waiting to be read

flowers for algernon (daniel keyes) - fiction book club book for september

in the middle of

i am the cheese (robert cormier) - lilly recommended it as one of her favorites, a young adult psychological thriller

sophie's world (jostein gaarder) - a thinly disguised philsophy 101 textbook

Friday, December 01, 2006

doing our own thing (2003)

Doing Our Own Thing: The Degradation of Language and Music and Why We Should, Like, Care (John McWhorter)

It was all the rage a few years ago to read books about why the current state of written (and any other) English sucked so bad. Well, three years later, I've read a few of these books and my English still sucks. But hey, at least now I know why it sucks. I blame poor schooling personally. Overall, the book tends to read like a history/trivia-lite book more than anything that is actually applicable or revelationary. Having said all that, I love books like this. "Did you know..."

No comments: